Roasted Gnocchi & Vegetables with Caramelized Shallot Thyme Butter
Making compound butter ahead of time and storing them in the fridge or freezer is a quick hack for adding delicious flavors to any meal. Simply combine the herbs and shallots with butter, roll into a log, freeze and cut off pats or slices as needed. This dish combines the comfort of fluffy gnocchi, fall veggies, herbs, caramelized shallots, and most importantly the richness of butter into one bowl. You can use any of your favorite fall vegetables or take our suggestion of roasted brussels sprouts, carrots, and mushrooms. It pairs well with baked chicken, pork, fish, or even sausage when serving as the main side to the protein. A simple sheet pan meal, it’s one that’s dressed (with yummy shallot and thyme butter) to impress!
Yield: 4 servings as a main dish
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20-25 min
- 1 lb. fresh or frozen gnocchi (1 package)
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts, quartered
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut on a bias into ½ inch pieces
- 1 8 oz. package of mushrooms, quartered
- ½ a large yellow onion, quartered into chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp olive oil for roasting
- 3 Tbsp (or ¼ inch pats) of Caramelized Shallot Thyme Butter (See recipe)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 450°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine gnocchi, brussels sprouts, carrots, mushrooms, and garlic and a few generous pinches of salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and gently toss to coat and combine the vegetables and gnocchi.
- Spread the mixture evenly on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes until the gnocchi are plump and vegetables are tender, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and scoop the mixture back into the large bowl. Add the pats of butter and thyme, mixing until the butter is melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve in individual bowls.